Airlines allows passengers to bring one carry-on bag plus one personal item free of charge. You can even choose to put your bag under the seat in front of your. However, there are some restrictions:
– Carry-ons must be small enough to fit under the seat in front.
– Your bag cannot weigh more than 50 pounds.
– Only items that do not exceed 12 inches x 9 inches x 4 inches can go inside.
– Passengers traveling internationally can take up to 3 bags weighing up to 70 pounds each free of charge.
The airline also offers travelers the option of checking a bag. For those choosing to travel with a checked bag, Delta charges $25 per bag. This fee includes handling, insurance, security screening and delivery.
Table of contents
- Carry-On Baggage
- A Carry-on Luggage Size Guide by Airline
- What size is carry-on luggage?
- What is the weight limit for carry-on luggage?
- What is the best carry-on luggage?
- How can I measure my carry-on bag to make sure it fits?
- What is the standard international carry-on size?
- Carry-on luggage size FAQ
Approved Personal Items
Bringing a personal item? Pick an item like this or of a similar size to store beneath the seat in front of you during your flight.
- 1 purse, briefcase, small backpack, camera bag or diaper bag
- 1 laptop bag (computers cannot be checked, unless directed to by security)
Free Items to Carry On
These items are free to carry on your flight, in addition to your usual carry-on items. Flight attendants can assist you with larger items, like strollers.
A jacket and/or umbrella
Food or drink purchased past the security checkpoint
Special items likestrollers,wheelchairs,child safety seatsorassistive deviceslike crutches
Whether it’s a duffel for an overnight trip or a roll-aboard bag for a much longer stay, arrive knowing that you can easily store your bag in an overhead bin. The faster you can stow your bag, the faster your flight will be on its way.
Carry-On Size Restrictions
Make sure your bag fits this size or reference size check displays located at ticket counters and gates.
Combined length + width + height of baggage must not exceed 45 linear inches (114 cm)Â
Individual length, width and height measurements may not exceed 22′ x 14′ x 9′ (56 cm x 35 cm x 23 cm) respectivelyÂ
These measurements include any handles or wheels, but do not apply to small musical instruments that fit in the overhead or under-seat space
Best Travel Bag Recommendation:
- Best carry-on to bring: eBags Fortis Pro Carry-On Spinner – USB
- Best carry-on to bring: Travelpro Platinum Magna 2 Spinner Suiter Suitcase
- Best carry-on to bring: Filson Dryden Carry-on Suitcase
- Best carry-on to bring: Briggs & Riley CX Domestic Carry-on Expandable Spinner
- Best carry-on to bring: Calpak Ambeur Rolling Spinner Carry-on
- Best carry-on to bring: Briggs & Riley Torq Domestic Carry-on Spinner
- Best carry-on to bring: Away The Bigger Carry-on
- Best carry-on to bring: Away ‘The Everywhere Bag
- Best carry-on to bring: Eagle Creek Tarmac 22-inch Carry-on
How many bags may I carry on?
For security purposes, you must leave behind any liquids and gels, including baby formula.
Passengers flying on Delta Connection flights with fewer than 50 seats may bring one small bag onboard the aircraft. Â Larger items will be tagged with an orange Gate Claim/Planesides tag and placed in the cargo hold. Â These bags will be retrieved by the passenger when they deplane.
Carry-on items need to be safe for flight and cannot exceed 22 inches by 14 inches by nine inches. They must be able to stay within a plane’s passenger compartment or they need to be stored inside an airtight container.
We might want to check our bags at the airport, depending on how full the plane is and how many people we expect to be traveling.
What if you’re not flying Delta but you’re traveling with them?
It is the responsibility of passengers who check baggage to ensure that any checked item(s) comply with Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) regulations.
A Carry-on Luggage Size Guide by Airline
Whether you’re flying domestically within North America or internationally, there are some common carry-on luggage sizes that most major air carriers recognize. This guide will help you determine whether or not your current suitcase will make the cut, and how much space you’ll actually have once you’ve packed everything.
What size is carry-on luggage?
The standard domestic carry-on suitcase size is 22″ x 15″ x 8″. This size allows you to fit it into most aircraft overhead compartments, ensuring your bag will make it onto your flight. When flying internationally, there are different standards. Here’s what you need to know about international carry-ons.
What is the weight limit for carry-on luggage?
For some major domestic airlines – think: Delta, Southwest and JetBlue – there are no weight restrictions on carry-on bags.
In fact, you’ll just have to be capable of lifting it above your head into a storage bin.
And in most cases, airlines don’t actually list a specific pound or kg limit on their websites.
So, as long as your bag doesn’t look like it’s packed too full, you’re probably fine.
Weight is much more important for smaller commuter airplanes, mainly due to safety regulations.
Smaller aircraft typically operate under different rules, such as those set out by the FAA.
Depending on where you fly, the maximum allowable weight for checked baggage could range anywhere from 10 pounds to 50 pounds per passenger.
But the weight restriction for carry-ons is much lower, usually around 20 pounds per person.
What is the best carry-on luggage?
For most people, choosing a carry-on bag isn’t difficult.
You want it to fit under the seat in front of you and be able to hold everything you’ll need for a few days away from home.
But there are many factors to consider, including how much space you have, what type of airline you use, and what size bags are allowed on planes.
In addition, you might want to choose a bag that offers both wheels and handles, because traveling with a rolling case can make getting around airports easier.
If you plan to travel frequently, you might want to opt for a larger bag, like a roller duffel.
A large bag makes packing easier, and you won’t feel overwhelmed trying to find things inside.
However, if you’re planning to travel once every couple months, you probably don’t need such a big bag.
Instead, look into smaller cases that are easy to pack and unpack. Some small cases come with wheels, making it easier to move around.
If you usually travel alone, you might want to check out carry-ons designed specifically for single travelers.
They often come with compartments for extra items, like toiletries, electronics and clothing.
How can I measure my carry-on bag to make sure it fits?
To help you confirm your luggage sizer, there are bag sizer at airport locations that feature 22″ x 14″ × 9″.
Before you leave for the airline terminal, please measure your bag yourself to make sure that the length + height + width are 22″ x 14″, or less.
If you have a soft-side or expandable suitcase, please measure your suitcase again once it has been packed to make sure it still meets the requirement.
Here are some tips to help you pack a carry-on bag like a pro:
- 1. Make sure your bag is no longer than 45 inches long, including handle.
- 2. Keep your bag flat and avoid packing items that extend beyond the edges of the bag.
- 3. Pack clothing vertically; layering works best.
- 4. Use compression bags or rolling techniques to save space.
What is the standard international carry-on size?
The International Air Transport Association (IATA), a trade group representing 300 airlines around the world, recommends that passengers check their airline baggage policy prior to traveling abroad.
You can find out what sizes are allowed on your flight by checking IATA’s “International Carry On Baggage Size Guide.”
This guide lists the maximum dimensions for carry-on bags, including length, width, height, depth, weight, and volume.
If you don’t see your carrier listed here, it doesn’t mean your bag won’t fit; just make sure to double-check your airline’s specific rules.
To be sure your bag is acceptable on all carriers, you’ll want to get a suitcase standing at 21 inches or less.
A lot of people assume that because most major airlines allow 22 inch suitcases, that they’re fine to bring on board.
But while some airlines do accept those larger bags, others don’t. Make sure to check your airline’s specific rules before packing.
If you plan to fly internationally, it’s even smarter to look into luggage size limitations when you’re flying with small, regional airlines outside of North America as each is able to establish its own limits.
For example, JetBlue allows one carry-on bag up to 23 inches long, 15 inches wide, 10 inches tall, 8 pounds, and 20 cubic inches.
Delta Airlines requires a carry-on bag no bigger than 16 x 14 x 9 inches, weighing no more than 7 pounds, and measuring no more than 19 cubic inches.
And Southwest Airlines says its carry-ons must measure 18 inches long, 12 inches high, and 11 inches deep.
- Carry-on baggage size: 22″x14″x9″; fees apply (usually $10-$75).
- Not Specifying Maximum Weight for Carry-On Luggage
- My personal item: 7 inches by 15 inches by 16 inches.
The airlines are offering carry-on baggage sizes up to 22 inches wide by 14 inches high by nine inches deep.
And the maximum weight limit for personal items is 10 pounds. For comparison,
United Airlines .
Allows 15 inches by 12 inches by 7 inches;
Frontier Airlines .
Says it doesn’t allow anything larger than a carry-on suitcase.
Delta Air Lines.
- For those traveling overseas, Delta offers carry-on baggage allowances ranging from 22 inches x 14 inches x 9 inches up to 30 inches x 20 inches x 12 inches.
- For international flights departing from the United States, you can check bags weighing up to 50 pounds.
- If you’re flying domestically within the US, most airlines allow you to bring 25 pounds of checked baggage per person.
- The American Airlines carry-on bag policy is now in effect.
- Allows 20 inches by 13 inches by 10 inches;
- Effective April 4th, 2018, passengers are allowed to bring one personal item per person into the cabin.
- This includes laptops, tablets, cameras, phones, etc. The airline says it will continue to allow larger items like suitcases, golf bags, musical instruments, bikes, skis, surfboards, etc.
- However, those items will still require checking baggage.
- In addition to the change in carry-on rules, American Airlines announced that it is changing the way it charges checked bag fees.
- Starting June 15th, 2018, passengers will no longer pay $25 for each checked bag.
- Instead, the fee will depend on how many bags are being carried. For example, if a passenger checks three bags, his or her total checked bag fee will drop to $15.
- If a passenger carries four bags, the fee drops to $10. Passengers carrying five or six bags will pay $5.
The Frontier Airlines carry-on bag policy is pretty simple: no oversized bags, no exceptions.
But what exactly does “oversized” mean? And how much baggage do you really need? Frontier Airlines provides some helpful guidelines for travelers looking to pack light.
- The airline announced Friday it will allow passengers to check one carry-on bag weighing no more than 22 inches wide, 14 inches high and nine inches deep.
- Lets you bring a small backpack weighing no more than seven pounds;
- Passengers must pay $25 extra for the larger checked bags. JetBlue says the change is part of its ongoing effort to make flying easier.
- Limits personal items to five pounds;
The airline announced it will allow passengers to carry larger personal items such as laptops, tablets, cameras, and even drones onto planes.
Passengers are allowed to bring up to one checked bag weighing no more than 50 pounds and one carry-on bag measuring no more than 23 inches wide, 15 inches deep, and 11 inches tall.
Additionally, there is a limit of three bags per passenger. Other restrictions include:
- • Laptops and tablets cannot exceed 12 pounds;
- • Cameras and drones cannot weigh more than 4 pounds;
- • Electronics like cell phones, eReaders, and GPS devices must be placed in carry-ons;
- • A maximum of four liquids or gels, including lotions and creams, are permitted in each carry-on bag.
You are allowed to take one personal item into the cabin with you. Anything larger than that needs to go checked. This includes laptops, tablets, cameras, etc. If you are flying internationally, there are some exceptions. For instance, it is possible to bring a computer oversize up to 15cm x 10cm x 20cm.
However, anything bigger than that cannot be brought onboard because it might interfere with the safety equipment.
United Airlines announced today that it will begin testing a smaller carry-on bag size beginning next month.
Starting April 5, United customers will be able to check bags no larger than 22 inches wide by 14 inches deep and weighing less than 15 pounds.
Customers will still be allowed one personal item such as a purse or laptop bag.
The airline says the change is part of a “continued effort to make flying even easier.”
In addition to the smaller carry-on bag, United says passengers will receive a free upgrade to First Class or Business Plus seating on domestic flights starting May 11.
Carry-on luggage size FAQ
The TSA says there are no hard and fast rules about what size carry-on bags passengers can bring onto planes.
However, most airlines specify a maximum size for carry-ons.
- For example, Delta Air Lines limits carry-on bags to 22 inches wide x 14 inches tall x 9 inches deep.
- American Airlines allows carry-on bags up to 18 inches wide x 12 inches tall x 8 inches deep.
- And JetBlue Airways does not allow carry-on bags larger than 15 inches wide x 10 inches tall x 7 inches deep.
But don’t worry – they don’t vary so much that you’ll need to buy a different travel bag for each airline.
Most major airlines use standard dimensions for carry-on bags, and some even offer free checked bags and/or upgrades for those traveling with small carry-ons.
So, while it might seem like there are many different types of carry-on luggage, you probably won’t need to buy one for every airline.
Is there a weight limit for carry-on bags?
Most major airlines don’t place limits on the amount of weight you can pack into your bag.
However, some carriers do specify certain maximum weights for checked baggage. For example, American Airlines says that passengers are allowed up to 50 pounds of carry-on baggage per person.
Delta Air Lines allows 15 pounds of hand luggage per passenger. And JetBlue Airways lets travelers bring 20 pounds of personal items onboard.’ Delta Air Lines allows 15 pounds of hand luggage per passenger. And JetBlue Airways lets travelers bring 20 pounds of personal items onboard.
In addition, some airlines charge extra fees for overweight or oversized luggage.
British Airways charges $25 for each pound over the standard allowance. Virgin Atlantic offers free shipping for one piece of carry-on luggage weighing less than 10 pounds.
Carry-on vs. personal item: What’s the difference?
When it comes to flying, most people know that there are two types of airline tickets: those that include checked bags and those that don’t.
But what about carry-on versus personal items? While some airlines offer both options, others limit travelers to just one type of travel option.
The question of whether to pack a carry-on or personal item depends largely on how much space is available in the overhead bin.
If there isn’t enough room above your head, you’ll want to take advantage of the second option.
However, if there is plenty of space, you might consider packing a carry-on bag.
In fact, most major airlines allow economy passengers to take one carry-on and up to three personal items at no additional cost.
Can I use a duffel bag as a carry-on?
A duffle bag can be carried onto an airplane as long as it fits into one of the following categories:
• A garment bag that measures no larger than 45 inches wide x 40 inches tall x 20 inches deep.
• A pet carrier that measures no larger than 20 inches wide x 15 inches high x 30 inches deep.
If you don’t meet the requirements, you’ll have to check your bag at the airport.
Is a diaper bag considered a carry-on, and what about other baby items?
Baby items such as diaper bags and infant car seats are generally allowed in checked luggage, according to the Federal Aviation Administration.
However, you cannot bring those items on board with your personal belongings because they do not meet the definition of “luggage.”
These items include diaper bags, baby food and formula, baby clothing and accessories, car seats and booster seats, cribs and playpens, high chairs and walkers.
Because these items are not considered luggage, they must be packed separately from your carry-on bag.
Do assistive devices count toward carry-on allowances?
Mobility aids (such as caned or walker) are often used by people with disabilities.
Some mobility aids are considered a personal item and therefore count toward the personal item allowance.
However, certain types of mobility aids, such as wheelchairs, scooters and crutches, do not usually count toward the personal item limit. If you plan to travel with a mobility aid, check with your airline about how it will be handled.
Is a neck pillow considered a carry-on?
A travel pillow for your neck is not considered a carry-on bag or personal item when flying. If you are traveling internationally, it must fit under the seat in front of you.
If you are traveling domestically, it must fit under your seat.
If you are traveling internationally, a neck pillow is allowed under the seat in front you. You cannot bring a neck pillow into the cabin of the plane, but you can use one while sitting on the ground.
If you are flying domestically, a neck pillow is not permitted under the seat in front. You can take it onto the plane, but you cannot bring it into the cabin. However, you can use one while seated on the ground.